Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Update from Banena

Hi Everyone, Sorry I haven't been able to update this blog. It has been difficult because I do not have internet access in my village. I will try to update when I can. I have arrived at my host family's home in a small village called Banena. Now I have a Mom, a Dad, 3 sisters, a brother, an Aunt and a cousin. They are all really nice, and helping me learn French and become integrated into Cameroonian culture. I am eating a lot of interesting food and listening to Cameroonian music (when the electricity is working). I have learned a lot of French -- it has been difficult. It can be exhausting, and sometimes my head is swimming. I am also learning about my job as a health coordinator -- how to work with a village to identify their needs and develop a sustainable program they can run when I am gone. I am having fun, except for one trip to the hospital. I had food poisoning, and I have recovered fully. Now, my Cameroonian Mom knows she can not feed me unrefrigerated leftovers. Love, Jessica

2 comments:

  1. "Now I have a Mom, a Dad, 3 sisters, a brother, an Aunt and a cousin." Ahh, but you still only have one Uncle Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh food poisoning is no fun, I'm glad you are better. What kinds of food do they eat in Cameroon? Do you have a mailing address?

    ReplyDelete